Its time to start getting to know the lesser known, up and coming bands that will play at ACL Fest! I didn't know how much I'd love the anticipation, learning about new music and the experience when I bought tickets for 2008. There were some downsides to attending a 3 day fest, but I've long forgotten them. My dad and husband seem to remember me saying last year, "It was great but I really don't need to do that again." That lasted all of a few moments.... then I bought a 3 day pass for 2009.
So we went to a music/arts festival in Richardson yesterday - Wildflower! Festival. The headliners included, Kansas, Hoobastank and The Toadies. It was pretty impressive for a suburbia festival. The main stage was no joke. About the size of a medium sized stage at ACL Fest. My dad kept commenting on how much louder the music was than last time he saw an outdoor concert.
The only real act we saw was The Edgar Winter Group. We were lucky enough to stumble by when he started playing "Frankenstein". Great performance. Mr. Winter really jams out - pumps out songs that don't stop giving. In fact, we left in the middle of one because the mid-May cold front finally hit and we were all in short sleeves.
Best way I can see to describe the festival is "cute". It was all out but not too big. Galatyn Park is actually a series of connected courtyards between large office buildings and urban-type residences.
One of the courtyards was lined with some great food booths. I had some fantastic Gumbo from a real, cajun restaurant in Louisiana. Its too bad - they didn't have their name out on the booth....
Oh! We also stopped for a bit at the Acoustic Cafe tent and saw Mary Bragg. She has some Alison Krauss qualities to her singing and songwriting. I'll have to share more once I check out her recorded stuff.
Overall, great weekend! The weather is so beautiful today I could just faint.
No comments:
Post a Comment